1) Be respectful to both your staff and fellow members. Sexism, racism, bullying, and various other forms of discrimination are completely forbidden here and will result in instant banning. Flaming is also forbidden, there is no need to pick fights with other members; you will be given warnings first.
2) Do not spam around these parts. Spamming can result in chat and personal messaging bans if it is done obsessively and purposefully. We understand that sometimes people will accidentally do this.
3) All site content must remain PG-13 and should respect the ProBoards Terms of Service. This applies to personal messaging, chat content, images, posts and whatever else gets places of The Duality of Man. If content could potentially trigger or disturb someone please add a trigger warning out of respect to your fellow members! Thank you!
4) Activity checks are bi-monthly to flush out inactive accounts/role-players. Sitewide e-mails are sent out about activity checks and a message is placed in the site Discord. If you don't post in the activity check or the absence board, you are presumed inactive. Those who get placed in inactive status because of not responding to an activity check will lose any high-ranking positions their characters have alongside your ability to post (you must message a staff member to be taken out of status). If you miss another activity check without informing staff that you are active, have returned or that you will be absent, then your account will be deleted. You are free to join us again at any time.
5) Please keep talks/debates about sensitive, political and religious topics to a minimal or do them privately and civilly. Some people do have very strong opinions about certain topics and we would prefer not to have fighting due to them.
6) Don't take credit for anything that does not belong to you, this includes: templates, posts, characters, images, writings, music, etc. If there is a content creator who needs to be credited, please contact me (Chibi Magician ) and I will add you into the credits. Plagiarism is completely forbidden! If you have discovered anything has been plagiarized, please message a staff member so we can address the situation accordingly.
7) Cursing, cussing, swearing or whatever you may refer to it as is allowed. Just please keep it to a minimum outside of role-play and try not to do it obsessively.
8) Signatures have a maximum pixel size of 500px (width) by 450px (height). They should be PG-13 and not exceed that size. Images should not contain nudity, sex, excessive violence, glamorization of hardcore drugs or hardcore drugs in general. If your image does not follow these guidelines, you will receive a personal message about it.
9) No impersonating your fellow members, we do not want to ban anyone under false pretenses. Impostors will be banned instantly.
10) Please, keep any private disputes/discussions with staff out of general areas. There is no need to drag your fellow members in on an issue that can be resolved by possibly speaking with another staff member. The only exception is an issue that is related to an unlisted rule where members may vote in a poll. This poll will be controlled by staff.
11) Out-of-character accounts are optional. If you have an out of character account, please post on this to receive the rank. Please note, the link is only available to members since it is in the Members' Lounge.
12) Have fun~! If you have a problem with another member, please try to talk it out and if it's not going well, please message a staff member.
1) Mary Sue and Gary Stu (perfect) characters are forbidden! Everybody has flaws just as every character made here should.
2) Genders will never be banned on The Duality of Man, we only ask you to be considerate. If you see a lack of females, maybe consider making one and this will work same vice versa. We do understand that some role-players have a gender preference when it comes to their characters.
3) Your character can have a mental or physical disability, but please keep in mind you will have to do research about these illnesses and state how the character copes with them. We would also appreciate a quick explanation of the disability itself. If we find that you're discriminating people with these disabilities, we will ask you to remove said disability from the character or this could result in banning. Put this information as a paragraph in your character's personality, appearance or miscellaneous section, please.
4) Face claims are required on The Duality of Man. You may make minor edits to the face claim (i.e. an eye colour change, adding a scar, etc.), however, they should, for the most part, look like the face claim. Face claims can be from: anime, manga & video games. You SHOULD NOT be using random anime pictures off of Google that are not affiliated with an anime, manga or video game. Genderbends are fine. Original art is officially allowed, but it must be claimed in the Face Claim with links to your art uploader or the commissioned artist(s)' art uploader(s). If there is plagiarized content, you will be banned since everyone deserves credit. If this gets out of control, this will no longer be allowed, so please be kind and don't plagiarize.
5) No half-breeds or terror characters. When two species breed, the child has a chance of becoming a species within the family line and will be full-blooded that species. The closest you can have to a half-breed is a gifted character or pre-established half-breeds (i.e. nephilims, fallen angels, etc), otherwise, no.
6) Don't make an overpowered character. We try to keep everything relatively balanced here for the sake of making the role-play fun for all, thus each character is required to have weaknesses. Overpowered characters will be denied.
7) There is no character limit, but please do try and keep your characters active. New members may make a maximum of 5 characters during their first month of joining. Afterwards, they will be effected by our character acceptance cooldown of one week. These cooldowns are to assure your characters get settled.
8) If your character is unfinished, please put (WIP) in the title to notify staff. Once your character is done, post in the notification thread so staff know. Please make certain to fill out the claims on the site.
9) Gifted may have a maximum of three abilities, 2 strong powers (ex. manipulations, healing, rapid regeneration) and 1 weaker ability (ex. often support abilities such as: night vision, omnilinguistics, enhanced hearing). If you believe your ability is too strong, message staff and we will help you. You may find more information about abilities here.
10) Please pick one of the species provided. If you have an idea, you may PM a staff member and we may consider it.
11) If we tell you something is too powerful, please do not beg to keep it. Staff word is final and we will not change our minds unless you weaken the ability.
12) The title of your application should be your character's name.
13) Each character made needs their own account, application and a face claim that is not taken. The display name should be the first and last name of your character. Username is up to you, but we do prefer it when it is the character's first name.
14) For the sake of simplicity, do not give your character the same surname as somebody else. This allows newer members to know they are not related and gives your name its own flare. If the surname belongs to a deleted account, then you may use it. This is to avoid confusion among larger families since should they share a similar surname it can be easy to mix up who belongs to which family. You can search last names in Citizens (members) if you are a member of the site to check if the last name you want is taken. You can also search surnames in applications which are open to all if you want to be aware prior. This obviously comes in the exception of families, related/married/adopted children/etc. can share surnames.
15) All characters made must be at least 8 years old. No younger than that age.
16) For most species, there should be a list of abilities they receive in their information. Should you make a character of that species, your character gets those abilities, all of them, and only those ones. This being said, species like gifted are considered more sandbox but receive a max of 3 abilities of your choosing.
17) Please keep in mind staff are not perfect. We all make errors and the staff team is no exception and may make the occasional error. This being said, please understand that this may lead to moments of having to make edits to an accepted application; keep mind, these edits tend to be minor. Usually, these are rare occasions, but at times we do tend to miss little things and realize it after somebody else points it out or after pondering it for a little bit.
1) No power-playing, auto-hitting, god-modding or meta-gaming. If you have permission to power-play someone's character, then it is considered fine, but we ask that you mention it in the thread. If you are unfamiliar with role-play terminology, read this and/or this.
2) The Duality of Man has a 50 word count in order to make certain that posts are not too short. However, this being said, please be respectful of those who write longer posts. If somebody writes a 600-700 word thread, you should not respond with just 50 words. Please try to meet your partner's word counts.
3) Do not be possessive of another role-player and their characters. Try not to take every single thread they have or force them into relationships with your characters. If somebody does not want a thread with you at that time or does not want that form of relationship with your character then be respectful about it.
4) Liquid time is enable here. This means you can have multiple threads and state that they are at different times.
5) If you plan to kill off one of your characters, please make certain to give a staff member the heads up to help us maintain the census.
6) One year in real life will be considered a year in role-playing. This means when a year passes in real life, one would have passed in role-play. Characters are suppose to age here.
7) Posting & plotting templates are completely up to you.
8) If you're worried because English is not your first language, don't be~! We will happily accept you into our little community.
9) Please do not avoid responding to certain people and leaving their threads without responses for weeks while you respond to the other ones you have on the site frequently. We understand that sometimes you may not have muse for a thread, but avoiding responding to someone consistently is rude.
10) Posts, private messages and anything else on The Duality of Man SHOULD NOT contain: excessive violence, sexual content, glamorization of hardcore drugs. You may see things like mild violence alongside the mentioning of nudity, sex, alcohol, and drugs.
11) When you finish a thread, please make certain to request it to be archived. You may make archive requests in this thread.
1) Do not be a total drama queen in the chat, it tends to make things awkward for everybody else who may not want to get involved. You may talk about drama every now and again, but it should not be used as a means to get attention or start fights with other members.
2) No advertising, we have a perfectly fine board for that. Talking about your site obsessively and how amazing it is will be considered a degree of advertising.
3) Please try and keep swearing to a minimum in the chat.
4) All chat usernames and images should be PG-13 and not break the ProBoards ToS. This does include Chatango accounts, so please make certain not to name yourself something inappropriate.
5) A Chatango account is not required, but it is encouraged. It makes it a lot easier to speak in the chat at any given time and does give you some neat perks (like custom fonts) on top of that.
6) Guests have every right to talk in chat to ask questions or just to get a taste of our community. Please just respect our rules~!
7) We also have a site Discord that you may join. This is completely optional, but it does allow you to have easy contact with the site staff and speak with the members. At times, we will speak in the Discord more often and it also has some text channels that are both for fun and site assistance. Click here to join the Discord.
8) Please keep in mind there are perks to both chats. There are some members who use the Chatango because they dislike Discord and same vice versa, so we recommend participating in both.
This message is placed here for the protection of members entering our forum. We have had forum and chat bots infiltrating The Duality of Man and posting links to dangerous malware. If you see this happen anywhere on the forum DO NOT click any of the links. Report it and staff will ban the IP address and delete the post as soon as possible. Thank you.
MADE BY ★MEULK